Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Time for New Wheels?


When I was younger, I HATED big cars. I thought they were clunky, awkward, and just plain ugly. When SUVs came onto the market, I didn't like them too much either. But, at least they seemed more "logical" to me.

These days, I find myself actually wanting either a big car, SUV, or...gasp...a van! The simple fact of the matter is that my wife and I need the room. Even though we only have one kid, it just amazes me how much stuff we end up bringing with us on an outing. Then there's what I do for a living and the equipment I have to haul around.

It's funny, because I'm a saxophonist. In theory, all I should ever really need to bring to a gig is my sax, sax stand, a mic, and a mic stand. And, it's even arguable if I need to bring the mic and mic stand. But, the problem is that I'm also a band leader and that changes the game all together!

So anyway, there is a third factor that figures into my wanting to get a bigger vehicle for the family and for my gigging purposes. I just can't move and fit into small cars the way I used to. My knees have been giving me problems since around my late twenties. And, now it's getting more and more difficult for me to have to get down into a small car and stuff my 6'3" frame into cars that are really designed for people up to 6'. Trust me, those 3 extra inches REALLY make a difference!

I guess when Renee and I can finally hack our way through this financial jungle-like entanglement that we're in, our first order of business will be to get a hold of some wheels that will fit our needs better. It will be nice to actually be able to see out of my back window when I have to bring extra gear to a gig. Not to mention, it sure will be a good thing when we won't have to worry about what to sacrifice bringing during a family outing. But, the nicest thing for me will be the ability to drive for more than 20 minutes without my knees feeling like someone is hitting them with a hammer!