Tuesday, April 7, 2009

"Crunch" Time

Well, here I am up early in the morning and this time it isn't because I have stayed up all night and didn't bother going to bed, which is usually the case. Today is the day I try to start doing something about this extra weight that I've been carrying around for the past 6 or 7 years.

Given how dense my daily schedule normally is, and the fact that I have a 9 month old daughter who has apparently inherited my restlessness, it has been next to impossible to try and figure out how to set aside some time to get any exercise in. After nearly 2 months of trying, I have finally figured it out.

Currently, I weigh about 270 lbs. At 6'3" that is obviously too heavy for someone my height. The only good thing is that I actually don't look sloppy or even all THAT heavy (fat). I'm told by those around me that I look 15-20lbs lighter than my actual weight. I actually would agree with that.

In any case, my fantasy/ultimate goal would be to get in around my college weight when I had first started to lift weights and had gained 20lbs of muscle. At that time I was 205lbs. However, realistically I don't think my age, genetics, or my body will allow me to get down to that size ever again. My more "realistic" goal is to try and get down to somewhere between 210 - 215lbs. Again, trying to be realistic, I calculate that it will take at least a year to achieve that if I can average around 5lbs of weight lose a month.

My eating habits have been a bit better of late, but I still need to improve in this area as well. Fortunately, I have gotten used to whole wheat and rye bread from the last time I tried to loose some weight. I don't eat much in the way of deserts, so nothing here to cut. I do, however, have to watch what I drink - there is definitely too much soda and other sugar filled drinks in my diet.

I feel pretty motivate, but certainly have some reasons to do this:
  • my mother is diabetic and it runs in my family
  • I'm wearing pants with a size 42 waist and lately even those are starting to fit a little snug
  • I have bad knees and maybe this will help alleviate some of the stress on them
  • I want to be healthy so I can be around to see my daughter grow up
  • I want to look good on stage

So, with all that said, it's time for me to get to work!